[TenTec] Starter Rigs

Dick, WN3R wn3r at verizon.net
Thu May 13 13:32:00 PDT 2010

I've helped a good number of "new" hams, young and old.  I have found the
best starter rigs are those in the $300-$400 range with a general coverage
receiver.  Rigs in this range, if in good physical and operating condition,
can be used for a number of years and sold for 80-110% of the original cost.

Unfortunately, it's rare to find a nice TEN TEC in that range as they seem
to hold their value better than those from Japan.

73, Dick, WN3R

PS My favorite rig for a newbie was the TS-130S. Now it's the TS-430S, 440S,
or 450S. They are easy to find, buy, and resell.