[TenTec] Agronaut Manual *** DIFFERENCES

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed May 19 08:54:13 PDT 2010

Gentlemen, Geoff is pretty spott on, except for one point:  the 515 actually
has the same receiver as the Triton IV, not the same as the Argonaut 505 and
509.
The 515's biggest apparent difference (besides color) is the added knob with
multiple 10m band segments.

As Ten Tec improved on the design of the 505, they would upgrade individual
boards.
The "clue" to the solution is, each board has a model number on it.
If you have a 505 and a 509 manual, then determine the model number of
whatever board you are working on and match it to the right manual.

The biggest difference between the 505 and 509 is that the 509 got a broad
band driver.
The 505 had a tunable driver section, that was tuned by the "elevator" . . .
which is controlled by the preselector knob.

If you use a 509 manual to tune up the 505, you will miss this important
tuning step and won't have full power on all bands.

73
Rick
==================

I think the thing that anyone who wants to fix an Argonaut needs to
keep in mind is that while they are three different models, with
slightly different looks and features (although the 515 has that
spiffy paint job and the "blikenlights") they are basically the same
radio with a continuum of changes and improvements.

At some point in the manufacturing process, TenTec decided to change
the model number and the official specs and make a formal announcment,
in other cases, they "just did it". My 509 manual shows a sidetone
board with two adjustments (tone and level) with the annotation that
some models a different board with only a level control. I don't know
if it was an option or a change hidden under the covers.

Another change is the t/r relay, later models use diode switching.

Good luck and 73,

Geoff.
--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge
or understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the
situation. i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found
in the Wikipedia.