[TenTec] wither CW?

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon May 24 13:56:02 PDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:03:42 -0400, Dave Humbertson wrote:

>when I find time on a weekend to fire up one of my old
>vintage rigs or my Corsair II for a little laid back CW

Have you ever considered turning the rig on one night during
the week for an hour? Theres almost always SOMEONE on 40CW
to work. If youre on the east coast, you can usually work
EU with 100W, and on the west coast there are dozens of JAs
ready to work you in the morning before you head off to
work. And even when things are tight due to contesting, 30M
and 17M, both GREAT CW bands, are usually open and always
untouched by contesters. And its very easy to put up
antennas for 30 and 17.

> machine generated (and probably copied) CW

Virtually ALL serious contesters use computers to SEND CW,
but the vast majority I know of use the computer between
his/her ears to COPY it.

Are there some new guys using computer readers? Sure. But
they are a FEW, not many, and, like Richards, many are
studying CW and getting their speed up so they can have more
fun.

>the fact that there is an op with a pen and paper on the
>other end.

Huh? Maybe with guys who only get on the air once a year,
but I havent written down CW since I worked traffic nets in
the 50s!  REAL CW ops do it in their heads. :) We use a
computer for LOGGING -- that is, entering calls and
exchanges that we copy in our heads.

73,

Jim K9YC