[TenTec] Paragon - easy to work on?

Ben Hall kd5byb at kd5byb.net
Tue May 25 05:26:50 PDT 2010

On 5/24/2010 7:38 PM, Phil Chambley Sr. wrote:
> Geoff...
>
> You are correct about the on-board support battery, which on s/n prior to
> 585-395 required the addition of a charging circuit.
>
> I was referring to the Dallas MC146818AP Rom/Rom/Rtc chip on the daughter
> board, which has its own battery and lasts for 10+ years at worst.

Good morning all,

First of all, thanks for the many great responses!  I opened the unit up
last night and mine is one of the later units it seems.  It already had
the 9V holder and the modification for charging a 9V NiCad / Ni-MH battery.

Unfortunately, it had an alkaline 9V battery installed.  The battery was
oozing electrolyte onto the 9V battery clip and had eaten through the
rivet holding the connector to the top of the battery.  I was able to
free it and clean up the 9V battery connector so it can be put back into
service.

When I get some time I'll purchase a 9V Ni-MH to replace it.

Next up will be taking off the bottom cover to see if I can access the
RF Gain pot with the deoxit.

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb
--