[TenTec] wither CW?

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Tue May 25 09:02:03 PDT 2010

Jerome,

How much time have you spent with a top CW contest operator during a contest, or at an M/M CW operation?

Yes--the ability to copy and type at the same time is critical...but above all is the ability to copy, quickly, the first time.  The difference between the top stations/ops and also-rans is the very best copy the call right, through the noise or QSB, the first time; the rest have to ask, "QRZ?"

In days gone by being able to copy and type was actually considered a virtue and a skill in and of itself.  So whether it's copying "ghost signals" on 80 meters that almost blend with the white noise or pick out a call, accurately and the first time, from the babble of a pile up, it's skill and that's where it happens.

As for the 10KW ERP, it still doesn't matter if you can't copy them when they call.  I still recall, with an embarrassed smile, an HA station posting, "Deaf like hell" about me when I was on 80 meters.  Then again, I may have been a lot louder there than he was at my end; despite the theory that good antennas should improve sent and received signals equally, the reality seems somewhat in favor of the transmitted signal.

So as a competitve CW contest op (at K5GO), I don't take offense at what you said, but I don't agree with you.  Sure, Skimmer is cool, and often enough like OPS (other peoples' spots) it can be inaccurate.  On top of that, for a top score the trick is to squeeze mulitplier contacts in without breaking the run, and too great a reliance on Skimmer can actually work against that.

Art, KØRO