[TenTec] wither CW?

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue May 25 09:16:25 PDT 2010

" The most nimble computer operator with the highest level of automation
driving the key jack (which drives 10kw erp) wins."

I disagree, strongly!

Sit down and talk to one of the winners in depth.
Take a look at how much brain cycles they put into just preparing for the
contest.
They'll go back 2 or 3 years and then study the bands and conditions, run
rates, etc. and put a band plan together for the coming contest.  They map
it all out.

In fact I know one guy who even obtains the logs of other stations operating
in the same region and studies them too.
Then he plans it out and follows his plan.

Knowing what band to be on at what time of day, and where to point your
antenna is not something a program spits out.
I've seen bands predicted dead, come alive, simply because everybody just
got on the air and tried it.
A program may give you part of the invormation but a lot of experience in
evaluating a multitude of data points is still required.

Everyone wants to win but very few are willing to prepare to win!

All of the above is in addition to having a contest-class station to begin
with.

Finally, knowing that I will never be that guy described above, doesn't even
bother me.
I just have fun working people, especially when they are DX-peditions.

73s
Rick