[TenTec] headsets

Michael Goins wmgoins at gmail.com
Wed May 26 05:47:37 PDT 2010

Okay now I am properly confused.

I have a Jupiter here and I operate at absolute minimum power all the
time, mostly chasing DX. I will be adding a 715 RF Speech Processor
and it looks like the Yamaha CM500 (electret) or the Koss SB40
(dynamic) would work fine with the setup, though the Yamaha headset
apparently needs a 1/10W 5.6K resistor from +VDC to the mic output
lead while the Koss would not.

I have a Regal 707 for times when not using a headset, and thus far
have not been terribly impressed with it. To it's credit, I haven't
put in much mike time yet and it might not be set up quite right at
the moment. Teaching summer classes and been spending what little time
I have with the stand alone qrp rigs (PFR-3 and HB-1A).

Not sure whether to go straight TenTec with the 777 or try the
Yamaha/Koss, especially since I plan to use the 715. It has a 4-pin on
it so I can use the Regal if I want but it also has a phono jack so
neither would need rewiring. Would really like to determine what would
work best here as good audio is so critical to low power ssb
operation. It has not been uncommon in the past for me to work someone
with little to nothing actually showing on their meter.

If anyone is using a somewhat similar setup, I'd sure like to talk
about it off list. Thanks.

Michael Goins, k5wmg
Professor, Writing
University of Texas at San Antonio