[TenTec] wither CW

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed May 26 12:07:56 PDT 2010

Rick - Jim - Jerome - and the rest ...  THANKS FOR THE "STRAIGHT" KEY
advice.

I have a cheap Chinese straight key,   and an old Nye Viking key I
collected up over the past few years when I was just a mere SWL and l
planned for retirement and ham radio.   I also have a Black Widow paddle
kit I made, and I have Ser. No. 006 of the Ten-Tec 40th Anniv Bencher BY
key - but I have not had it out of the box for fear I will destroy its
collector value  (if any...)  using it before I know how.   I use the
straight key as a PTT switch. . . it is SUPPOSED to remind me to
practice every day.

The difficulty was ... what to use or try first... and you have solved that.

I am not asking for any other advice... because I know I will get ten
answers from the next nine hams I ask !      So I will just trust this
is correct.      ;-)

Oh...  yeah... I also have an old toy key thing from when my father was
a kid, and that was featured in an article by Dave Ingram, in CQ
Magazine,  in June or July 2007.   That was fun getting my name in print
  in such a serious ham publication.   Dave has published a series of
books on keys and paddles, etc.

So... I will start out shooting "straight"  and move to a paddle.   I
will check out the Vibroplex line as Scott Robbins was VERY nice to me
when he as at TT and I would like to return the favor and buy something
from  his new venture.

Frankly, the single paddle with two finger pieces appeals to my inner
logic  (or more likely ill-logic)  but the whole notion seems most
straightforward to me.   It appears a dual paddle is very close to that
in operation.

Thanks, again, ... now I just need to establish a regular training regimen.

SIDEBAR --  As for music, I think I like the key of G... as it seems
easiest to fashion Bluegrass licks and bass runs in that key.       ;-)