[TenTec] wither CW

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Wed May 26 14:00:45 PDT 2010

On 5/26/2010 1:35 AM, Richards wrote:
> Serious Question Dept.
> _______________________
>
> What should a new operator start out with?  Some adamantly recommend a
> straight key  (e.g. our friend Dan Romanchick KB6NU) and others
> recommend a paddle and keyer (as do many in the FISTS and other groups.)
>
> Each camp has its highly qualified and well-intentioned advocates.
>
> So... What's a mother to do?   How does one choose... and if he elects
> to work the paddle-keyer combo, then how does he elect A or B style?   I
> cannot find any sort of consensus, and it seems to be a very personal
> decision - but (as in the case of A vs B keyer styles)  one does not
> really know what he will like until he know how to do one or the
> other... it is a cart before the horse proposition in a way.
>
> Single paddle.... double paddle.... straight key... sideswiper... bug...
> iambic...  A... B... even C...     Sheesh!     I suppose it is analogous
> to selecting a word processor - whatever you learned first seems to be
> your favorite.   But how to know in advance which to choose?
>
> Oh... and I like the saying about gentlemen and bagpipes....    ;-)

In the old days, you had better learn on a straight key because you had
to pass a sending test with the FCC's straight key. It took a medical
exemption to take the sending test any other way.

I think you get more fundamentals worked out with the straight key and I
can change speeds faster and more accurately to match speed of the
station I'm calling with my straight key than anybody can with any other
form of keying short of a really good computer copying program.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

73, Jerry, K0CQ