[TenTec] Extra class CW Sending Test

James Duffer dufferjames at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 17:35:06 PDT 2010

> From: Rick at DJ0IP.de
> To: tentec at contesting.com
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:05:23 -0500
> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Extra class CW Sending Test
>
> Jim, is that true or is it jusa a bunch of wd4 [hot] air ?

It is true, the only sending test was the Novice Test in 1967.  In 1976 at Memphis, TN the Extra Test was receipt of 5 character groups with a certain number of characters with no errors (I failed that one)  several months later it was to copy text and pass a ten question test that could be answered by the text, this I passed.  Never was their a test for actual sending.  So I didn't need a key, bug, buzzer with push back wire etc.  I thought this was true for the amateur extra class!  Now the commercial  FCC Telegraph Class I believe required a sending test.
73, de Jim wd4(hot)air  P.S.  I was employed by the FAA as an electronic tech (GS-856) at the time so I didn't even request a special call, that one still fit.