[TenTec] installing ladder line

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Tue Nov 9 01:20:30 PST 2010

Trouble with introducing a balun is that sometimes ladder line is used
to allow a wide tuning range and so there can be a wild set of
impedances and SWR on the ladder line that the balun can't handle from
160 through 10m. One time tuning a tuner with a balun attached, I found
I had tuned the balun so that the tuning and input SWR didn't change
with the ladder line disconnected. That's not healthy for the balun or
for getting a signal radiated.

73, Jerry, K0CQ