[TenTec] TenTec Product Status Update

Henry, John jhenry at tentec.com
Wed Nov 10 10:35:28 PST 2010

In order to help keep our customers up to date with what is going on
within TenTec, I'm posting the following:

1 - Eagle - We are working on a Software Update for the Eagle, which
should be posted to the Internet for download by Thursday of this
week. 11-11-2010 (if it isn't up by Thursday, it will be up Monday of
next week, never release firmware on a Friday). This software will
provide more CAT functions as requested by customers, includes a few
items to assist in factory test automation, also includes the audible
QSK Delay function, etc.. I am also planning on releasing the official
programmers reference manual to support the firmware release version a
day or so later.

2 - Orion 565 Firmware Update - Now that the Eagle is maturing to a
more stable baseline, I am restarting the efforts on the Orion 565
Firmware Update process. This release is intended to resolve a few
known issues, and to get to a baseline that performs best for
contesting. This means that some changes may not be exactly as per
desire of some casual users, but the main purpose of the Orion and
Orion II are to provide the best contesting rigs that TenTec can
offer, so that original philosophy will remain in tact for this coming
upgrade. Goal is to have the beta group informed of the schedule by
the end of next week. Have the set of changes required finalized and a
schedule for release committed to by the end of next week. This
doesn't mean the update will be ready next week, but a firm schedule
will be in tact and I can then share it publicly by then. Target date
for the entire update is before the end of the year. I think that it
is possible, however it is very aggressive, and may not be met, but
that is the goal.
One MAJOR note to make, this will be an update based on V2 firmware,
not V1. It may mimic the functionality now seen in the latest Orion II
firmware release. But the main goal is stability, removing receiver
losses, etc.

3 - High Speed Sweep Board - Yes, it has frozen over...., The High
Speed Sweep is back on the development path. We are working with a 3rd
party vendor who has committed time and resources to complete this
project. When a schedule is made more firm, and we seem to be meeting
the early milestones, I may indicate a projected production start
date, I may not, will have to see as time progresses how the venture
works out. Either way, we are committed to providing this
functionality with the best "wow" feature set for a built in sweep
that we can provide with the hardware/firmware/DSP/etc that we have in
the Orion 2 and OMNI-VII.

4 - Jupiter Update - Providing a resolution to the receiver lockup
when turning on AN/NB/NR all at the same time, adding a feature if
possible as requested. Projected update timeframe - December 2010

5 - OMNI-VII - There is a request from ESSB operators to provide SB
transmit bandwidth up to 6kHz. Currently reviewing with the league, if
the HW is capable, etc. Feasibility is being reviewed.

Yes, we are working on several other projects at the same time that
may also be finished and made public during the timeframe of the Orion
565 and HSSB projects, but once I commit to a schedule, I will do
everything in my power to get it completed on time, with quality, and
with the customers desires in hand.

Best Regards,
John Henry
TenTec Engineering