[TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sun Nov 14 09:13:39 PST 2010

Of course, the Johnson Matchbox has its secondary capacitors
"centre-tapped" to ground; that makes it a "stiff" voltage source. In
other words it's a VOLTAGE balun, just like the 4:1 Ruthroff found as
standard in many tuners. But usually we want to balance the currents in
the TL, not the voltages on each leg.

That referenced 1:1 balun from Balun Designs is a good choice -
particularly for the lower-frequency bands.

73,
Steve G3TXQ