[TenTec] 4229 Tuner Balun Replacement?

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sun Nov 14 10:44:09 PST 2010

Jim,

I agree!

I've been doing some balance measurements on a 100ft doublet I have fed
with ladderline. Because of its local environment it's a pretty
unbalanced antenna system.

I measured ladderline leg current balance using a couple of clip-on
meters; I also ran the ladderline through a single ferrite core wound
with pick-off turns to overcome the phase imbalance "uncertainty
problem". I tried the following arrangements:

Palstar  BT1500 balanced tuner
Ten Tec tuner equipped with internal Ruthroff 4:1 Voltage Balun
Ten Tec tuner equipped with home-made external balun configured as 1:1
Guanella
Ten Tec tuner equipped with home-made external balun configured as a 4:1
Ruthroff.

The Ten Tec tuner plus external 1:1 Guanella produced noticeably better
current balance than any of the other arrangements - particularly at the
lower frequencies. The 4:1 Voltage baluns were especially bad.

I was unimpressed with the Palstar BT1500; the 1:1 balun it uses at its
input has pretty low CM impedance on the lower bands.

73,
Steve G3TXQ