[TenTec] OT

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 10:21:43 PST 2010

I once wound 100' of 213 on a small plastic garbage can 1.5 feet diameter
and used it as a c.m. choke on 160.  I calculated the Xl was over 2000 ohms
(I don't remember the exact figure) and the diameter and width of the coil
were about equal (which gives the highest value for a given length of
conductor).   I am unconvinced that this is not a good solution.

However, regardless of c.m. Z, there is this disadvantage of large coaxial
chokes:  you wind up lengthening your feedline by 50 or 100 feet.  Also, due
to their size and weight, or at least the size and weight of the one I made,
it could only be used on the ground which was okay in my case, as I used it
at the f/p of my inverted L before I got enough radials down to make it
unnecessary.

73

rob
k5uj