[TenTec] best power supply for Orion II and other items

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Tue Nov 23 03:16:12 PST 2010

Most linear supplies come with lousy efficiency, partly from the need
for that voltage drop to achieve decent current sharing. Except for my
shack supply that uses MOSFETs for regulation. They share well without
needing the inverse feedback and regulate down to .020 volts drop. They
don't need 10 or 12 volts regulator drop like most ham linear supplies.
I'm not aware of any commercially available MOSFET regulated supplies.
I've seen 82% measured efficiency with mine. Some day I might improve on
that by using more MOSFETs for rectifiers instead of Schottky diodes
that I use now.

Some of the switching supplies give good efficiency with light weight
and very low noise. Check the QST reviews for noise ratings.

73, Jerry, K0CQ