[TenTec] (no subject)

kf6e at mail.com kf6e at mail.com
Wed Nov 24 05:05:37 PST 2010

I would strongly recommend the MFJ-998, unless your antenna is very close to 1:1 SWR anyway.

They rate tuners by the range of impedances they can match, and by the power they can handle.  But it's "or," not "and."  If a tuner is rated at 6 to 1600 ohms matching capability and 300 watts, it will handle 300 watts only around 50 ohms load.  You must decrease power when the impedance varies greatly from the 50-ohm nominal load, especially at the low impedance end.  I blew up an LDG AT-600 Pro (rated at 600 watts) with 175 watts on CW, running into a low impedance antenna.  LDG repaired it for free, but I can't use that power on that frequency on that antenna with that tuner.

I've been very pleased with my MFJ-998.  I've run up to 1000 watts through it over a wide range of antenna impedances with no problems.

73,
Frank
KF6E