[TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna

Rsoifer at aol.com Rsoifer at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 10:05:23 PST 2010

Jerry writes:

There is another school of thought that when those preferred lengths
don't fit the premises or the wire on hand, is that the preferred length
is the length that fits between the supports and the preferred feed line
length is the length that fits from the antenna to the tuner in the
shack. This can demand the tuner handle more obnoxious loads. This
school believes tough tuning and being on the air is better than being
quite bemoaning the preferred antenna won't fit the space  available.

Depending upon the situation, I agree with that school.   A practical
example:

A couple of years ago, my wife and I rented a second home in the Texas hill
 country.  It was in a no-antenna subdivision, but had 8 acres of property
with quite a few trees.  I used an Outbacker for 6-30 meters, but it wasn't
 very effective on the lower bands, even with the radials I put down.  So,
with the help of a friend, I strung up an end-fed random wire.
Unfortunately, the trees weren't very tall, so it was only 15-20 feet  high.  It was
about 90 feet long because that's how much wire was on the  spool I had, and
the orientation was "as far much from the house as  possible."

An MFJ tuner (962D) loaded it up to a 1:1 SWR at the transmitter, and with
100 watts it worked the world on 40 and 80 CW.  At that low height, the
free-space pattern didn't matter.  Most of the RF went straight up!   Yes, the
trees absorbed some energy, but they also kept the neighbors from
bothering me about either antenna because they weren't very visible from the  road.
A good trade-off, IMHO.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 11/29/2010 5:29:11 P.M. GMT Standard Time,