[TenTec] Stealth Antennas and restricted QTHs

Ray Sills raysills at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 15:56:43 PST 2010

HI Gang:

This is a topic that periodically shows up.  And, it's a reaction to
today's modes of housing.  Many decades ago, you either lived in a
rental apartment, owned a house, or owned a farm.  The landlord of an
apartment might or might not give permission for a ham antenna.  In
the other situations rarely became an issue as to whether or not you
could install a tower or an antenna.  You just did it.  And, anyone
putting up a tower would site it so that if it ever fell down, it
would fall only on your own property.

But there is probably no new housing, individual home, town home,
condo, co-op, constructed these days by a developer that does not add
=permanent= CC&R wording to the deed.

If you want an "unrestricted" QTH, you have to buy an older home, in
a neighborhood that was developed many years ago.  And with that,
comes the implied cost of maintenance, which you have to consider as
well.  You have to pay someone to fix things, or do it yourself.  And
an older home will likely need attention, soon, if not right away.
And, it's still an older home.  You might like the farm idea, but
that usually puts you -way- out of town, and perhaps too far from the
big city to let you reasonably commute.

So, if you choose to buy a -new- home, it's almost a guarantee that
it will come with an HOA, and restrictions.  Or, you'd have to find
an undeveloped lot, and arrange to find a contractor and builder to
make a place for you.  And, oh yes, get a mortgage.  It's a lot
easier to get a mortgage for a property from a large developer, than
it is when you go it alone.

In my case, I lived in an unrestricted suburban QTH for 4 decades,
but after retirement, chose to buy a condo near where my sons and
families live.  I no longer wanted to have the burden of maintaining
a home, so I opted for a QTH where that is included with the HOA, and
accepted that I won't have a permanent antenna.

I do remember seeing QST ads for a "Flagpole" antenna, and that's a
great option for many communities, particularly if he HOA encourages
the display of Old Glory.  Otherwise, stealth antennas or portable
antennas are the only realistic options.  But with some creativity
and determination, an antenna solution can be found.  It may not be
perfect, but it beats no antenna at all.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
FN20kg
Warrington, PA