[TenTec] Comparison of Ten Tec Orion II with Flex 500A

David W LeJeune, Sr lejeuned at centurytel.net
Thu Oct 14 14:01:04 PDT 2010

Prior to PowerSDR 2.0.8 (beta), what Carl says is true.  But by using a 512K
audio buffer size and a 92KHZ sample rate, the latency for QSK is nil.
Although these settings do negatively affect the shape factor of the
filters, I can tell no real difference.  I normally use the 100hz filter,
although I have used the 25hz filter. Amazed that there is no 'ringing'.

I regularly send and receive at 20-30wpm, and have no QSK problems.  Have
not tried anything higher that 30wpm.  I use an external program (CWType) to
key the Flex 5K via 'vspMgr'. The only problem with 2.0.8 is a clicking
noise artifact that occurs when going from transmit to receive that I'm told
will be fixed before PowerSDR 2.0 is released for distribution.

Dave WN5V