[TenTec] 2.8 filters and Omni V...just won't work

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 05:13:09 PDT 2010

Jerry is right about the trimmers.   The Ten Tec analog rigs that came out
after the Corsair 2 were not designed for anything but CW and contest SSB
that sounds like you are operating a cell phone on the ham bands or are up
on the space shuttle.   It's a great CW rig but if you want to sound like
you are from planet Earth I'd get a Kenwood TS-870 and use that for
ragchewing.  You also might like a later Ten Tec rig like the Jupiter, or
vintage Ten Tec but not all of those have the WARC bands.  Keep the Omni for
CW and busting the pileups.

One trick some have tried (I did not, I ran into the same problem you are
having and kept my Omni 6 for CW) is use a multi-turn Bourns TrimPot in
place of the stock cheap single turn pot for finding the good deep carrier
null resistance value.   The stock PC board pot has a razor sharp null that
is real hard to nail down, just about impossible.  You'll get it good on one
sideband only to discover you have to re-adjust it for the other.   then
you'll go back and forth.  None if this is a problem with the narrow stock
filters because the adjustment is not as critical.   Ten Tec saved around $2
per unit using the cheap pot and I imagine they reasonably figured it would
only need adjusting once at the factory.  BTW on the carrier frequency pots
(or are they little caps--can't remember), there is an error in the manual
about what cap goes with which mode.  I don't remember which is wrong, only
that I found out too late I was adjusting the wrong thing, which explained
why the rig was not behaving as expected.   The Omni 5 manual may be okay,
but I advise making sure you have the right component for a given mode if
you want to adjust the carrier offset before diving in and twiddling.

73

Rob
K5UJ