[TenTec] Tuner time

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Oct 31 17:53:50 PDT 2010

My suggestion regarding your tuner purchase is that you select the size
and capacity of the tuner to the magnitude and difficulty of the SWR
mismatch you are tuning.   I believe the larger manual tuners handle
larger SWR mismatches better than than the smaller electronic type
tuners.  Thus, if you are trying to shape up a dipole, or OCF windom
type antenna, the smaller electronic auto tuners should do the job well
enough.  In contrast, if you are trying to tame one of those 43 foot
tall aluminum monopole antennas, the lightweight tuners should work well
on 15, 20, and 40 meters, but less well on 160, 80-75, 12, 10 and up.
In that case, I would want a larger tuner with roller inductors and
large air capacitors, as it can handle a wider mismatch.

Some of the manufacturers will indicate how large and SWR mismatch
swaying their tuners can handle, usually stated in ohms  (e.g.,
"Matching range** from about 10 Ohm to over 1000 Ohms")  and the larger
tuners typically (not always) tune a wider range.

Thus, I would select the size and robustness of the tuner to suit the
size of the job - i.e. the magnitude of the SWR challenge you seek to tame.

Just MY take...