[TenTec] Looking for "cheap" rig or honest and patient ham

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Thu Sep 2 10:03:12 PDT 2010

Hey Gang,

I've befriended a new ham who knows CW, and is working to get on HF.  He's sadly only on VHF.  He's looking for his first rig and I think he and his XYL are just making ends meet.

I told him that I saw $300 as about the floor on anything worth buying.  What do you think?  He only has about 1/3 of that put toward a rig and is selling some surplus items to raise more.

So is there anyone out there with an Omni C or similar that would be priced in the range I suggested, who would be willing to consider holding the rig while he paid for it?  Would the Omni C be a good rig, or discourage him?

I'm looking at IC-725s, TS-530S, 520S, 820/830, but thought I'd check here.

When my XYL and I were selling my stepson's old saxophone we asked $300, I think, which was fair.  The girl who bought it had $75 to put down.  We were so taken by her enthusiasm toward playing that after she handed my XYL the $$, my XYL said, "Here, you better take the sax home tonight, and by the way, it's paid in full."

Maybe one of you will have such a moment in this case.  I just don't have any extra rig!

73,
Art