[TenTec] Looking for "cheap" rig or honest and patient ham

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Thu Sep 2 10:33:22 PDT 2010

The TS-120 and TS130 were solid rigs, but didn't have the strong signal
handling receiver of the later Tentecs. The 820/830 is a bit more
complex and I've seen it confuse new hams. It also needs to be tuned
which complicates operation.

The only thing I know bad about the 120/130 is that the RF board
mounting screws will work loose and then it oscillates on transmit when
on the higher bands. Tightening the board mounting screws fixed it every
time. I had two 120 and a 130. The 130 is nice that filter selection is
independent of mode if desired.

At least on ICOM I used of that era didn't have working AGC on the
receiver which was very annoying. Sometime after that FD the owner
bought a TS-440 and was so enamoured by it that he ran it nearly
continuously the 23 hours after opening the box.

73, Jerry, K0CQ