[TenTec] New to TT and the list

tubsc66 at aol.com tubsc66 at aol.com
Fri Sep 3 03:55:52 PDT 2010

Hi everyone, my name is Chris (KC5IIE), and Im a proud new owner of 3 (yes, 3!) Ten Tec rigs.
I bought an Omni D a few weeks ago for a great price and I fell in love! Its pretty easy to operate
and I get unsolicited compliments on my audio during qso's. I do have a few questions though.
Im using a LDG Z-11 pro auto tuner, I tune with the Omni just as I do my other rigs, I set the power
very low and key the rig, the Z-11 usually tunes in a split second. Am I at risk of damaging the
finals due to the lack of swr protection? (Im not using a TT PS). Also, when I turn the power off
with the knob, the dial lights remain lit, the manual is confusing in this regard, but I think I need
a new switch. Do they all behave this way? When I purchased the rig, it came with a hand mic,
I really had to crank up the ALC, but I had a Turner 454 in the garage, so I wired it up, now the
ALC lights up at the "2" position on the knob, does that sound OK?
Thanks so much for any advice, this list looks like a treasure-trove of info on TT rigs.
BTW, I traded my FT-950 for an Omni 6 opt 3 and Ive never looked back, great performance
without all the menus, a breath of fresh air. I also have a Omni C waiting its turn on the
operating desk, I plan to play with it this weekend! Hope everyone has a great Labor Day
weekend!  73's

Chris KC5IIE

=