[TenTec] (no subject)

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Fri Sep 3 06:19:13 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I think the best thing to do is let Dave come up with the funds himself.  Two of you made wonderful offers on Tritons, which brought me back to my first days as a ham: How I envied W1ON and a few others bouncing along at 70wpm (or better) with their Tritons around 7.027.

Anybody recall that gang?

I want to clarify something.  I explained to Dave the QSK of the Triton, etc, but given his desire to serve the MARS system as well, the TS-140S is a better fit.  I in no way meant my comment (which of course I did not think to check if it was replying only to Danny!) as a denigration of the Triton, or any sort of disdain for the wonderful offers made by two of our list members.

So please forgive me if I might have made it sound that way.

I'm just getting to know this fellow--haven't yet had coffee with him.  His dad is an electrical engineer and he grew up fixing things, learned CW but just never got around to getting his ticket.  He works in CAD design out here, has two kids and another due on Thanksgiving.

He's told his XYL it's fine to have the baby on Thanksgiving as long as she's home in time to serve the turkey.  He lived to recount this story...

There is a local with probably hundreds of feet of window wire, and with his background, etc, I think Dave can put together a tuner and wind a current balun.  It'll be a good experience, right?

He's lacking the 20-25 amp power supply, so I will throw this one out there: If any of you has a 12 volt transformer that would be good for that current, and you realize you're not likely to build the project you got had in mind or just picked it up somewhere, please let me know, perhaps off-list.  I'm sure Dave and I can put together a regulated 13.8 VDC power supply for this.

73,
Art
atrampler at att.net