[TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Mon Sep 27 10:57:29 PDT 2010

One needs to remember that the surge in American prosprity, post WW2, was largly because with the possible exception of Argentina, the US had the only sizable industrial/manufacturing infratstructure left in the world. Bombs took care of the rest.Peron took care of Argentina.

So for 25 years the only place one could turn for halfway decent to good consumder goods was the US; and for another 15 years, the only place to go for decent capital goods was the US.

Under that system wages and benefits grew considerably as there was little (price) elasticity of demand for US made products, as substitutes were largely unavailable.

This is no longer the case and said change, coupled with comparative advantages in labor and tax rates (and in many countries regulatory costs), makes the US goods relatively mroe expensive worldwide, even without an artificially devalued yuan. Of course productivity benefits used to offset the wage differential, but that gap is closing too.

I think we need to recall the state of the world's industrial base post WW2 to understand the arc that we are on.

Art, KØRO

PS: I'd happily own an Orion II and maybe an Eagle (let's hope it does not turn out to be a screaming chicken). There aren't many rigs for which I'd give up my Omni VI.

PPS: Good thing this is not another reflector concerned more with vertically oriented implements of steel and aluminium; we'd have been warned to find a more suitable venue by now!