[TenTec] The Unique Eagle

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 28 23:06:22 PDT 2010

Gee I sure hope so.   But it COULD be argued that the Eagle has a sort
of retro appearance,  and perhaps that will appeal the LARGE portion of
the ham community, who is, frankly, an older, aging demographic,  Maybe
it will sing a familiar tune they can sing along with, while providing
really good performance specifications.

Otherwise, it might flop if the market is clamoring for the sort of
"engineering style" boxes Art mentions.  As a strong TenTec supporter, I
hope it catches on fire in the market.  I want it to succeed big time.

Personally, I would buy it for its specifications, but NOT for its
appearance.   I am a relatively new ham at a young 55 years of age, and
I do not have the same nostalgic ties to the past as so many other hams
have.   It does not speak to ME as modern or high tech, but has an older
look - after all, you guys all say it looks like an old Argonaut 5. I
would buy it for its specs, not its looks.

I think Art has identified an important marketing factor.  Perhaps the
retro look WILL appeal to the broader market, comprised of a different
ham than I am, and sell great guns.   A look they like, with specs
anyone could like.

Art's comment reminds me of just how difficult these decisions must be
for the manufacturing engineering and marketing team  - they can only
give it one look, so it had better be a look that sells to the largest
market segment.   Very difficult task.