[TenTec] eagle

wa3fiy at radioadv.com wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Fri Apr 1 12:00:55 PDT 2011

Mike,

Are you sure your Omni VI should not have left the factory delivering only 80 watts?   For that
matter, what was it's power output when it left the factory?

I ask that because there is a target spec and a tolerance involved.  The target spec for the
Omni VI according to my manual is 100 watts max.  What is the tolerance?  Dunno.  the
manual does not say.  For the Orion, the spec is 100 watts max. plus or minus 1db.  That
means that the radio may deliver anywhere from 79.4 watts max to 125.9 watts max and be
within spec.   I doubt TT ships radios at the extreme limits but even if they did, who on the
other end of the signal would know?    Since the power output depends upon the setting of
two pots among other things, there are a number of reasons the max output power may shift
over time, etc.  If it is important that the power meter show exactly 100 watts, it can be done.
But I ask again....why bother?

BTW, I've owned a lot of radios over the years and worked on a lot more from most major
manufacturers.  I've not kept a record but my rapidly fading memory tells me that the output
power rarely matches the rated power.  Some higher, some lower according to my so so
equipped lab.   The numbers I see here and elsewhere whenever this subject comes up
represent a VERY small sample of the total number of units out there and are interesting
perhaps but of little meaning otherwise.  One would need to take a fairly large sample to get
an accurate mean and std deviation.   I used to know how to do that but remember that
fading memory.....     :-)

73,

-Lee-