[TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Fri Apr 8 14:11:51 PDT 2011

Mike,

You're putting words in my mouth - I've not said anything about whether
an antenna is "half decent" or not.

What I can tell you for sure is that a 132ft dipole at 50ft above
average ground will have a feedpoint impedance of around 10-j1059 Ohms
at 1.9MHz; and that load will result in 6.5dB loss in 100ft of Wireman
551 if it's dry, and 9dB if it's wet. I leave you to judge whether or
not that constitutes a "half decent" antenna for that band.

Why are the losses so high? Because that feedpoint impedance produces a
VSWR of 320:1 on the 400 Ohm 551 ladderline.

73,
Steve G3TXQ