[TenTec] DDS Dilemma

Karl Fischer, DJ5IL dj5il at cq-cq.eu
Thu Aug 4 01:10:14 PDT 2011

Steve and all readers,

I was tired of rebuilding the PTO of my Corsair II every two years
or so. A few weeks ago I replaced it with a DDS-VFO and I am very
happy now. My solution is based on the DDS-60 daughtercard
( http://midnightdesignsolutions.com/dds60/index.htm ). I built a small
controller-board based on the PIC 16F88 and wrote a control
program for the DDS-60. The tiny controller-board together with
the daughtercard are installed above the noise blanker board inside
the CII. I discarded all parts of the old PTO except for the aluminium
chassis which I used to support a simple homebrew cardanic bearing
for a 1024 ppr magnetic shaft encoder. The OFFSET pot remains, its
setting is acquired by AD-conversion.

My software works like this: a short push on the SPOT button enters
the dual-VFO mode, sets VFO B = VFO A and switches to VFO B.
Every subsequent short push swaps VFOs. Tuning acts on the active
VFO only which is used for RX, during TX the inactive VFO is used
and displayed. The OFFSET is active in RX mode only and is
applied to both VFOs. A long (> 0.5 sec.) push on the SPOT button
exits the dual VFO mode and at the same time engages the original
SPOT function. So the SPOT function is not available in split mode
but in the normal mode it works like before. The tuning rate switches
between low and high depending on the shaft rotation speed.

As soon as I find time I will publish deatails and make the software
freely available on my website http://cq-cq.eu

73
Karl, DJ5IL