[TenTec] CorsairII obsolescence - MCU copying

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Fri Aug 12 11:51:17 PDT 2011

Glenn,

It's possible, but quite difficult.

The processor chip does not allow the code to be accessed directly. As I
understand it the trick that some have used successfully is to force the
chip into programming mode, but keep the voltage on the programming pin
low so that its contents are not changed. At some point in the programme
cycle the chip does a "Verify" operation. At that stage you cycle every
byte of the attached memory through all possible 256 values and look to
detect a slight change in chip timing which would indicate that the
external value matches the internal value. Once it's complete you have a
record of the contents.

One guy did it all by hand using laboratory logic analysers; another
developed a piece of kit which did it in automatically, but it can take
many hours - possibly several days. I eMailed him offering to supply a
chip if he were willing to extract the code using his kit. He declined
saying that the risk of damaging the chip was too high, but offering to
give advice if I tried to replicate his kit!

At the end of the day, the PIC solution was much easier.

I hate to say it, but another issue could be the availability of the LED
driver chips. If they were to fail I know that the PIC solution would
allow me to drive the LEDs directly and eliminate the need for the
driver board.

73,
Steve G3TXQ