[TenTec] 425 Failure

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Tue Aug 16 09:00:44 PDT 2011

Hello Jim,

I figured I would hear from you. You know, I haven't heard from Dave, K1FK in some time. I hope he's OK...

I will go through and check, but I think my narrative mis-explained something, as our former President might have said.

The "only" arc that occurred was within the (teflon) insulated HV line feeding the plate caps from the RF choke. It appears that the wire inside broke...maybe it was already compromised...under the high current drain.

Then, when firing it up after replacing the main fuses, there was an arc within that insulated wire across the small gap formed when that wire broke, which occurred when I engaged the relays/put about 10 watts on it.

If I were just using a J-38 to key the exciter, or had an easy knob to turn down the power, or my XYL had not walked in and asked a question as I hit "Tune" on the GUI...any of these might have changed the outcome entirely. Usually I ran it at 20 to 25ma grid current, even at legal output, loading it a bit hard if I needed to do so to keep the grid current below 30ma.

I'll take it slow...but again, this was not some full flashover arc, but from all I can tell, an arc in the small gap formed when that wire broke.

Do you know if there is anything "special" about the wire that carries the HV from the RF choke to the plate caps, and do you know if I can replace the RF choke in the Titan with the RFC-3 made by RF Parts?

Thanks,
Art