[TenTec] power went out

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 18:32:05 PDT 2011

All of this reminds me of all the warnings my Dad (W5JHJ, SK) gave me
as a youngster growing up around lethal HV and tubes. Among many was
"Never get around this stuff with both hands if there's a chance of
it being energized. Always keep one hand in your pocket."

It was evening and I was tired. I was working on my modified AL-80A
(4 kV 0.5 A homebrew supply) for reasons now forgotten. Cover off,
interlock defeated I absently reached over it something for some
reason while one hand rested on the chassis. I came very close to
touching the HV supply while it was on. I realized what I'd done
about a millisecond later and simply sat there for a minute. I then
gave myself a mental tongue lashing worthy of anything my Dad could
have ever dished out, shut it all off, walked out and went to bed.
Ever since, as soon as I feel a tiny bit of fatigue, I call it quits.
There isn't a piece of gear out there worth dying over.

Kim N5OP