[TenTec] What Radio?

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 29 20:12:03 PDT 2011

Hello,
The quandry of what radio is faced by us all.  I rely on Sherwood
Engineering reports to grade the receivers, and the Yaecomwoods
invariable pale compared to Elecraft K3, K2, and Ten Tec offerings.

The Eagle is a very compact radio which is valuable to me for Field Days.

I have an Argonaut Five, which has almost the same easy to learn front
panel.  That is also important to me, and harder with the Yaecomwoods.

You really should try to get to see one of whatever radio you are
considering.

If you really want a spectrum display, get a spectrum analyzer, but they
do not make very good ham communications or DX receivers.

There are outboard devices that could allow you to view the signals in
your IF bandwidth, but your ears are the ultimate test equipment.  You
have to be able to hear the signal to work it, unless you are using PSK
31 or modes like that, which do use a waterfall display.  But if your
interests are voice DX and CW, I think you want a Ten Tec and the Eagle
is a great radio for the price.

Good Luck and Good DX!
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH