[TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Dec 1 05:00:27 PST 2011

BACK in the pre-historic times, when there were no transistors and only
tubes, the US had a power limit of 1000w Input Power.

P=Isq. R,  or  P=E/I were common formulas to use.

Let's take the second one.

We have a linear running 1000v and 500 mA of courrent.
Multiply 1000 x 0.5 =  500w input power

Now let's assume that amp is running in Class C mode.
Class C typically yields about 60% to 65% efficiency.
Let's go with 65%

65% of 500w Input Power = 325 Watts Output Power.

So is this a 500w amp or a 325w amp?   That is Input vs. Output.

BUT, for SSB, we can't run class C (too much distortion).
So we must run perhaps class B.
Class A gets only about 50% efficiency, class B about 55%.
Let's say we were running that amp in class B (ssb).

55% X 500 = 275 watts  (now that 500w input amp is in reality only a 275w
amp if we specify it in output power).

As a rule of thumb for estimating, it simply to take 50%.
A 1500w MFJ Matchbox rated for the old SSB rating system is really a 750w
matchbox.
Their 3000w Matchbox can handle 1500w if the SWR does not get too high.

Viola.  Now you know.

73
Rick