[TenTec] FS: Ten-Tec Omni VII w/ auto-tuner (588AT)

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Dec 6 05:32:33 PST 2011

This kind of gets back to the point I was making before.
The more knobs and adjustments there are on a radio, the higher the
likelihood of mist-tuning it and degrading performance.

I was one of the first owners of an Orion here in Germany and I loaned it
out quite a lot.
One very big contester here returned it saying it was the worst radio he had
ever used on 80m, but admitted he had not had time to read the manual.   Of
course I found the he or one of the other operators had been playing with
the AGC values and screwed it all up.

I have to agree with Mike; the best way to handle it is try it yourself
before you buy it.
I had a good relationship with a local motorcycle shop in Munich.
I used to borrow a demo bike for a day and ride it over the "old" 2-lane
Brenner Pass (not the new 6-lane one), just above Innsbrueck Austria - as
fast as I could, of course.  Then I didn't care what I read or heard; I knew
how the bike performed!

For me, CQWW CW is for a radio what the old Brenner Pass was for a bike:
the ultimate test ground.
In this year's CQWW CW, the Eagle rode like a 250 GP bike on a mountain
road; small, light, agile, and as fast as all the bigger stuff on "that"
road.

73
Rick, DJ0IP