[TenTec] Omni-VI QSK with Alpha 87A

Barry N1EU barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 07:05:35 PST 2011

Oops, I think I found the info on the Alpha forum.  I will add it to
the Ten-Tec Wiki.  If anybody has tried this with an Acom 2000A or
Alpha 99, please drop me a line.

73, Barry N1EU

-------------------------------

Omni-VI, Omni-VI+ (maybe others):

Make up a cable with a diode in series to connect the 87A "relay" line
to a "Y" that plugs into the "TX OUT" and "TX EN" jacks on the
Omni-VI. The "TX OUT" and "TX EN" are connected together by the "Y",
the diode connects to the center conductor of the third leg of the
"Y". The polarity of the diode has the cathode (band end) connected to
the Y, diode anode goes to RELAY jack of Alpha. This will allow the
TenTec "TX OUT" signal to key the amp when it enables the radio for
transmit. This works on both CW QSK and SSB. DO NOT do this with any
other amplifier unless you know that the keying line polarity of the
amplifier is correct AND that the amp keying circuit is of very small
current. This is only recommended for use with a Alpha 87A or 89 (they
use PIN diodes for fast T/R switching). Thanks to Terry W6RU for this
circuit (posted on the TenTec reflector).

All other radio/amp combinations, use the amplifier keying relay in
the radio to the RCA jack on back of amp labeled RELAY.