[TenTec] OT Kind of. ?? about wide band antennas

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 3 15:06:12 PST 2011

My research into this, including cage dipoles, suggests one may realize
little practical tangible effect on SWR bandwidth when replacing a heavy
wire antenna element with a small aluminum tube  (where "small" = 1-2
inches in diameter.)    Theoretically (I believe)  it would have more
impact on higher frequencies a the size of the element increases
relative to wavelength.

There is some discussion of this in the ARRL Antenna Handbook.  See page
9-4 and 2-3, et. seq.   where it discussed the impact of larger diameter
elements on impedance.

Hope that points in a useful direction.

Happy Trails.