[TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Tue Feb 8 00:48:24 PST 2011

Jerry,

Now you mention it .........

My recollection of the sequence of events was that the Notch pot was a
bit "scratchy" but operated over its full travel. Whilst I had
everything apart for the DDS modification I decided to to take a look at
the pot. I remember spraying some switch cleaner into the rear gang -
the only one I could really get access to. It was after that it failed
completely apart from about the first 30 degrees of travel.

I pulled the pot off the board and disassembled it - right back to the
track. The front gang was fine, but the rear gang looked like the
carbon(?) had been completed stripped from the substrate. There were
thick black deposits on the slider that looked like they might once have
been the track. Probing around the substrate with an ohmmeter,  it
looked like pure insulator.

When I tell it like that, it sounds obvious what must have happened!

I can't see anything on the switch cleaner can that indicates what the
liquid is.

I'm expecting the replacement pot mid-week and will let you know how it
goes. From the Maplin drawings it looks like the front-to-back pin
spacing between gangs is correct, but I may need to spread the pins
sideways slightly to fit the PCB holes.

73,
Steve G3TXQ