[TenTec] Antenna follow up- asked for help in January- need more help.....

tom stewart xring97015 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:17:27 PST 2011

I apologize for not being more clear about my observations. When Isay "dips"
I mean as measured with my antenna analyser directly at feedline- no tuner
involved.

I have about a foot folded over at the end of the legs. I think I can make
room to add 6 inches both ends. Is that worth while?

thanks

Tom

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP <Rick at dj0ip.de> wrote:

> I haven't seen Tom's writing on this, Steve.  I will read it. Thanks.
> You can't argue with his point.
> If the tuner is arcing across the C's, then the SWR is probably jumping all
> over the place too.
>
> The 974 is robust enough that it usually does not arc when running 100w.
> If it does, I immediately add 1/8 wavelength feedline to the feedline for
> the band that is arcing.
> It always cures the problem.
>
> At 100w level, I have found that the MFJ tuner can match a much broader
> range than the Johnson Viking (275w) Matchbox.  The Johnson starts arcing,
> yet the MFJ matches the antenna and does not arc.
> At Field Day, our club used to use the Viking for years.
> It has been replaced by the 974 because we don't have to do so much
> feedline
> pruning with it as with the Viking.
> It also has the cross needle SWR bridge and watt meter built in, making it
> convenient.
> I don't know how the efficiency compares at the wild impedance areas, but
> it
> was certainly more convenient and we did not notice any poorer performance
> than in previous years.
>
> 73
> Rick

"No matter how fast you miss, you still lose."