[TenTec] Antenna follow up- asked for help in January- need more help.....

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Wed Feb 16 09:16:35 PST 2011

When loading a high impedance line with a low impedance antenna (a
nearly half wave antenna, like yours on 40m is low impedance) a quarter
wave of line gives you a very high impedance. That antenna has a
resistive component about 60 ohms and some reactance. With a 600 ohm
characteristic impedance the impedance a quarter wave away is 600 * 600
/ 60 or 6000 ohms. And a KW at 6000 ohms means e = sqrt( 1000 * 6000) =
2500 volts. If the feed line impedance was 300 ohms, the impedance a
quarter wave from the antenna would be 1500 ohms and the voltage for 1
KW would be only 1250 volts.

Your spreaders are two wide. They are abouto 4.5" long for 600 ohms and
300 ohms would require just under a half inch spacing.

65 feet of feed line comes to about a half wave at 40 meters and that
means the tuner sees practically the antenna impedance which is more
like 60 ohms.

There is more than one way to cope with the high impedance, adding feed
line is one sure way. Lowering the impedance of the feed line is
another. Now that your feed line is about a half wave on 40 meters, its
a multiple of that half wave on 20, 15, and 10 meters always reflecting
the dipole impedance on those bands to the tuner and the dipole
impedance on those bands is always high, but not like what the tuner saw
with they near quarter wave feed line.

73, Jerry, K0CQ