[TenTec] KW 107 Supermatch

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Fri Feb 18 12:49:07 PST 2011

Yah, I'm going to LEAP in here. First its Jerry, not Gerry. Its been
Jerry all my life and I'm not changing now on my 69th birthday. I don't
know my mother's reasoning, but that's the way it is. I do answer to
Gerald, but generally not on the ham bands. At home being called Gerald
generally was a precursor to unpleasant events.

I've not used the Z-Match ever. I can see the problems with loaded Q
depending a great deal on frequency and load Z. I know I've heard WA0ROI
(owner of a wall full of Tentecs and Cubics) mention more than once he
like the Z-Match tuners of old, thought they had great versatility. But
I doubt the one he used long ago would handle his PA outputs now.

In crowded RF environments like big cities and all of Europe I like the
concept of more tuned circuits in front of the receiver. Because no
matter how great the receiver's dynamic range it can perform better with
less out of band RF on the front end. It still can't hack another ham in
the same block on another band or the same band, the best receiver isn't
that good. Then tuning reduces transmitter mixer spurs and harmonics.
While rigs meet regulations, sometimes the neighbor still sees the
harmonics because only 50 or 60 dB down isn't weaker than the signals
the neighbor wants to watch on TV.

73, Jerry, K0CQ