[TenTec] Orion II

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sat Feb 19 16:57:26 PST 2011

The waterfall display is very handy finding signals on a nearly dead
band, especially VHF and microwave (where lacking frequency stability
and precision might find a station more than a few kHz away from the
frequency they thought they were on). On HF it can show you the pileups
so you can investigate to chase DX if you haven't already worked the DX
station. It can show you the frequency of splattering stations whether
that splattering is from them or from your receiver overload. The
waterfall display is often a part of digital programs and allows you to
identify signals by type and activity even when there are a couple dozen
PSK-31 signals in the SSB filter pass band.

Just some uses of the waterfall display.

73, Jerry, K0CQ