[TenTec] Thanks for v2.064x11

Henry, John jhenry at tentec.com
Mon Feb 21 05:48:54 PST 2011

Hello Dean,

The latest updates of the Orion and Orion II both utilize the RF AGC
system. It was the first utilized in both rigs before we added the
capability to select between the AF AGC or RF AGC. Just a note, all
other TenTec radios, 588, 538, 599, etc utilize the RF AGC system.

Just a reminder for many:
AF AGC.
It did not permit the use of many of the DSP functions, e.g. auto
notch, and had a lot of negative side effects that would require quite
a bit more horsepower to resolve. Or at least quite a bit more work to
make AF AGC and the other DSP receiver enhancement functions to work
properly. The real reason it was created, we will look to see how we
can provide that featuring without having to select from two different
times at which AGC processing occurs.

The Waterfall Display.
For the moment, it was pulled out of the latest Orion and Orion II
releases so that we could get the both firmware sets to a very stable
and usable frame to build upon.

We do intend on bringing the waterfall display back for the Orion II
once the firmware has been used for a while and its real stability
determined. Not really sure it could be visibly useful on an
monochrome Orion 565.

Thanks,
John Henry
TenTec Engineering