[TenTec] Argonaut 516 Transmit into a short - stupid

Scott Zastoupil szastoupil at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 19:32:23 PST 2011

Hi All.  I just did something real stupid by forgetting that my antenna was grounded and transmit my Argo into a dead short.  Now the power meter just slightly wiggles at a power setting what once was 5W.  I'll open it up and try to trouble shoot the voltages up to the power amp and scope the driver input and output to see if that is blown.    The ALC LED does not light either on TX with a CW key.  Not sure of the criteria for that to light up.   It is very likely I toasted the 2SC3133 output transistors.  I went to RFParts.com and they call for a replacement of using a matched pair of 2SC1945.  The price is a little more than I was expecting.  My question is do they really have to be matched pairs?  It seems just adjusting the bias voltage on each would be sufficient.  I'm not exactly sure where they should be biased besides have an equal collector current at idle.  I see some on ebay, but kind of leery of those being gray market parts since they're
 coming from Hong Kong.

Any thought/suggestions on repair and alignment?

Scott, KB0KFX