[TenTec] Omni VII Internal Tuner failure - advice please.

Curt rhulett1 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 15:12:18 PST 2011

I bought my Omni VII 588AT about three years ago and the internal tuner has
failed. I know, shouldn't have been so stupid as to buy the internal tuner,
but that is hindsight for me now.

The symptoms are, push tune and the tuner activates at less than 5 watts,
and immediately finds a "match" on any and all bands regardless of the
antenna.  It grinds forever on a dummy load.  The radio works fine connected
to my MFJ versa tuner ( internal tuner in bypass ).  The same antennas can
be matched fine with the MFJ tuner.  So, I believe the internal tuner is
broken.  With autotuner set to off in the menu, the radio puts out 20W when
"tune" is selected. Everything worked fine one day, but not the next.

I called Ten-Tec, asked whether just buying a new tuner board was
appropriate strategy.  They said no, suggested a master reset which was
performed with no joy.  Then suggested I return the radio to them.  I'm
reluctant, having heard horror stories about carriers destroying rigs and
that the "insurance" isn't.  I'm imagining either receiving the rig back
with "couldn't duplicate the problem" and a $200 bill for labor/shipping, or
receiving a destroyed rig and the same $200 bill.

So, would appreciate some advice.  I've thought of

(1)Just using the radio without the internal tuner, but if problem is with
the RF deck, probably should have it corrected before the radio goes out of
production.

(2)Do (1) until spring when may be making a trip to TN, just carry the rig
to them.

(3)Buy a new tuner board and risk that this is not the problem

(4)Pack the rig up, send via USPS parcel post/UPS/Fedex insured and pray.

(5)Remove the board from the rig, sell the rig at a discount before
something else craps out.

(6)???

Thanks in advance, 73 Curt KB5JO