[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Wed Jan 5 14:58:37 PST 2011

The ARRL Antenna Book puts it much more succinctly than I just did -
Page 3-20 of 21st Edition:

"In short, far-field losses for vertically polarized antennas are highly
dependent on the conductivity and dielectric constant of the earth
around the antenna, extending far beyond the ends of any radials used to
complete the ground return for the near field. Putting more radials out
around the antenna may well reduce ground-return losses in the reactive
near field for a vertical monopole, but will not increase radiation at
low elevation launch angles in the far field unless the radials can
extend perhaps 100 wavelengths in all directions! Aside from moving to
the fabled "salt water swamp on a high hill" there is very little that
someone can do to change the character of the ground that affects the
far-field pattern of a real vertical".

73,
Steve G3TXQ