[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Jan 5 17:42:26 PST 2011

At my last 3 home QTH's, I have put up both a horizontal antenna fed with
open wire, and a vertical dipole (also fed with openwire), for reasons Gary
just stated.

It's horses for courses.
The horizontal dipole works best for NVIS, the vertical dipole works best
for DX.

I have used the vertical dipole instead of the classical vertical because of
my despise for radials.

In several emails we have been arguing if the number of radials affects the
angle of radiation, the efficiency of the antenna, or both.

WELL I DON'T REALLY CARE. I run a vertical dipole, which is INDEPENDENT of
radials and I don't have to worry about all that BS.  My ground losses are
determined by my ground, but I can't change that, unless I  move.

Due to the shortening of the antenna, I lose a percentage of a single dB of
power (not more), but due to the efficiency compared to a normal trap
vertical with just a couple of radials, I gain several dB.  It's a win
situation.

I still stand by my challenge for anyone to come up with a simple cheap
antenna that will out-perform the simple vertical dipole.  I know of
nothing, and I've been at this game for a long time.

Beams will beat them. Quads will beat them.  No contest on that point.  What
else?

73
Rick