[TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Thu Jan 6 04:46:21 PST 2011

The most directly relevant question is E9C15:

What strongly affects the shape of the far-field, low-angle elevation
pattern of a
vertically polarized antenna?
A. The conductivity and dielectric constant of the soil in the area of
the antenna
B. The radiation resistance of the antenna and matching network
C. The SWR on the transmission line
D. The transmitter output power

The correct answer (A) doesn't define what is meant by "in the area of
the antenna". To that extent it is a badly-worded question. Fortunately,
you can arrive at answer A through a process of eliminating the others.

However "Gordo's" advice contains no such ambiguity. He says: "Well,
that would be the conductivity and dielectric constant of the soil in
the area *just below the antenna*." [my emphasis]. That is plainly
wrong, as we have seen.

It seems a shame if students have to accept technical error in order to
pass an exam.

73,
Steve G3TXQ